Monday, May 4, 2015

RAIN BARREL for FLOWER WATERING

I recently found a new idea for a homemade rain barrel diverter.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Rain-Barrel-and-Diverter/step2/Assemble-the-Diverter/

 This diverter works pretty well and looks good.  I built the stand from red cedar lumber,  Make sure your deck is strong since a full 55 gal barrel weighs 440 lbs.

I picked up the barrel at a garage sale for $5.00.  The red cedar lumber came from a cedar tree we cut down, that was damaged from an ice storm.

I did make a few changes from the above link but theirs should work well too.  I may need to add an overflow at the top of the barrel side.


My barrel is upside down.  The two bungs were sealed with silicon.  The barrel is made of thick food grade plastic so you can drill a hole for the faucet connection screw it in and seal it with silicon.  A hole in the top (actually the bottom) the size of a disposable plastic flower pot provides access for the diverter.  I added a screenwire and foam filter to the flower pot so the rainwater will stay fairly clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment