Saturday, October 24, 2015

THE DOCTOR ORDERED A GREENHOUSE

I have struggles with extending our growing season both spring and fall and decided to try my hand at building our own greenhouse.  I used building materials that were left over from other projects as often as possible.  I did buy two cattle panels (50 in x 16 ft) and greenhouse plastic for the project.  The framework was made with red cedar lumber from a tree I cut down and the polycarbonate ends were left over from a carport roof.  The base frame was made from salvaged 5x6 red cedar set on salvaged concrete blocks.


I made the door from 1x3 red cedar and dual channel screen molding.  The inside groove holds a bug screen for summers and the outside groove holds greenhouse plastic for cold weather.  The door plastic can be removed for air circulation.  I added hinged vents at the top of each end for more air circulation.
The floor will have a double layer of landscape fabric with a layer of small stones to walk on and for drainage.   Planting will be in buckets so moving them around will be easy,  The buckets below are cabbage plants that will go in the greenhouse when frost is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment