Thursday, November 17, 2016

NOVEMBER 2016 DRY AND WARM

Here it is almost Thanksgiving and roses are still blooming, tomatoes still on the vine and grass is even green although it's pretty dry.  I added this blog post to update you on a few recent projects and ideas so here goes:


I decided I needed a homemade gate and wanted it to be made from whatever I could find around the place.  The wrought iron was one of two panels I bought at an estate sale several years ago and the wood is used white cedar fencing left here by the previous owner.  It is a bit heavy but does the job.  The solar lite looks neat at night.










I posted the DIY greenhouse last year and just finished some updates.  The first was a river rock floor (3 inches) laid over two layers of weed block fabric.  I also added a hanging wire shelf for seed trays.  Half blue barrels and 5 gal buckets work pretty well for planting in a small area.
I just finished running underground electric service to the greenhouse so a heater could be used during cold nights.
Don't forget to install an outdoor ground fault receptacle for shock protection. I hope to have salad greens (lettuce, spinach, radishes and several herbs) throughout the winter. 
I did remove the plastic fabric for the summer to make it last longer.  The greenhouse fabric has a 4-6 year life if left on all the time but I thought I might extend that some by removing it for the summer


No comments:

Post a Comment